Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:43:22 -0700
arizona always has a competitive team.  asu is up and down.

arizona played and annihilated stanford a couple of years ago.  asu played ucla
and usc last season, and even in a down year, the results were equally as
unpretty.

i think the ucla hockey team may suffer the same fate as the football team:
too much going on, and the games are too far away from campus.  the closest
rink to the ucla campus is down in culver city, which is a trek.  not as much
of a trek as the rose bowl, though.

how far are the likes of usc, ucla, and stanford from title IX compliance?
they're always boasting plenty of women's teams winning plenty of titles.

scott quakkelaar
michigan, 1993
ucla, 1995

--- Larry Winer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> at one time Stanford had a team that played an independent d1 type schedule-
> at one time Penn; Kent; Illinois-Chicago had teams - so unfortunately there
> are losses along the way-
>
> 2 big impediments to growth of D1 hockey (and players are not the
> problem-especially American players)- Title IX problems with womens sports
> and the need for a decent rink (although once the rink is built the cost of
> adding a womens team is not that great) I only hope that there is a real
> prospect for the growth of college hockey throughout the US- apparently a the
> Arizona schools in the Pac12 have strong club teams- who knows?

===

unbreakable toys are often useful for breaking other toys

                                        -- author unknown