From:
William Corrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Corrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 02:45:18 -0400
We happened to be sitting in Section 214 for the UNH-Maine championsip
final amidst the New Hampshire contingent.

When the red light went on over the net at the far end of the ice
signaling Maine's winning overtime goal you could hear a pin drop on our
end.  This silence was quickly broken by the screaming voice of a UNH
fan who lost it completely, cursing Shawn Walsh, the Black Bears and
anyone else remotely connected to Orono.  Clearly pushed over the edge
by his disappointment, this fan would have climbed the glass to get at
his nemesis if security personnel had not been in place.  As it was, his
verbal tirade went on for at least three minutes while the on-ice
celebration was in progress.

I relate this incident only to emphasize my feeling that hopefully,
sooner than later, many of those who still bear considerable resentment
toward Coach Walsh and his program move on and direct their energies to
more positive support of their favorite team.  This was an individual
who had not 'gotten over it' and was outraged that his team had been
edged by *this* particular rival in its most important game ever.

I am confident that most all UNH fans handled their distress with class
and dignity and have many fond memories to carry them through to next
October.  It was a great and memorable hockey game for both teams --
only one can claim the crown.

Bill Corrigan

LET'S GO BRUNO!