From:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 22:05:03 +0200
Greg Ambrose writes:

> My thought on Anaheim were formulated before I even left for the trip.

You see, it's that kind of attitude that bugged me this weekend.
People in the Lynah Chat who were nowhere near California (although
not as far as I was) were ranting about what a disaster this was.  I
think Tony's getting a bit carried away by saying the Frozen Four (TM)
should be held on the West Coast every five years, but is it really
such a hardship for people who live in hotbeds of college hockey that
this one time the NCAA decided to try something different?  Perhaps
you'd prefer if the tournament had been in Anchorage?

> If
> those in California need a fix, let's bring back the Great Western
> Freeze-Out or some such.

Of course, the Freeze-Out ended after the Anaheim bid had already been
awarded.

>  If
> the newspaper coverage of the tournament is indicative of local fan
> interest, the games made little impact in LA.

Given how little coverage the LA Times gave college hockey when I was
there, I was pleasantly surprised at the handful of articles that
cropped up on the web.  (Even during NHL playoff time, there are
typically more post-mortems on the Lakers than articles about hockey.
The LA Times sports section is more feature-oriented than
game-coverage-oriented.)

Fellow Gaucho Nathan Eric Hampton contributes:

> 5) And yes, when I wasn't at the games, I was at Disneyland. With a nine and
> four year old in our group, we closed the place two nights in a row. I'm not
> use to being up that late and being sober.

Gotta love a place that serves non-alcoholic Mint Juleps (the Blue
Bayou restaurant, inside Pirates of the Carribean).

Tony Buffa suggests:

>  Pehaps a nice compromise spot would be Salt Lake City?

Salt Lake could work pretty well, since there are four club teams
within an hour's drive (two of whom, Weber State and Utah State*, are
regularly atop the West region of ACHA Division II), a new hockey
facility built for the IHL's Utah Grizzlies, and I've actually spoken
to natives who knew a thing or two about NCAA Division I hockey.  Not
to mention it's only a six hour drive from Denver.

Of course, a more obvious choice would be to have the event at
MacNichols Arena in Denver.
                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

* To those familiar with Utah geography, yes, I know Logan is more
than an hour's drive from Salt Lake, but USU plays at the Weber Ice
Sheet in Ogden.