From:
Jim Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 23:33:29 -0700
> I've heard UCLA and SC want teams. Without a movement to generate more
> college hockey interest, and without big schools starting up programs,
> despite new arenas popping up, ice hockey is still a struggle for
> Californians.

I was talking to a couple of UNH alums in Anaheim that live in the LA area
and one of them said that USC does have a club team.  However, he said they
are so awful that one of his men's league teams (which he said was pretty
bad) would annihilate them.  So if UCLA and USC want hockey teams, they are
going to have to put a *lot* more wood behind the arrow tip, so to speak,
i.e. something along the lines of what UNO did, build a nice arena, recruit
players, etc.  As a resident of northern California, I can tell you that
although there may be small pockets of interest in hockey, mainly NHL
hockey, the vast majority of Californians couldn't care less about hockey.