Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:14:06 -0600
Will Anzenberger wrote:

> I thought I saw on the wires that the finalists had been named.
> (they seem ok, I am not really up on the ECAC, so I don't know much
> about the 2 guys on the list).
>
> Jason Blake     Sr   F   North Dakota
> Eric Heffler    Sr   G   St. Lawrence
> Steve Kariya    Sr   F   Maine
> Jason Krog      Sr   F   New Hampshire
> Michel Larocque Sr   G   Boston University
> Brian Swanson   Sr   F   Colorado College
> Mike York       Sr   F   Michigan State
> Hugo Boisvert   Jr   F   Ohio State
> Jeff Hamilton   Jr   F   Yale
> Brian Gionta    So   F   Boston College

My first thought looking at this list: Are there really no defensemen
among the best players in the country?  I understand that this is largely
driven by statistics, and defensemen are at a disadvantage in this regard,
but this award seems to be becoming more and more Heisman-esque.  And not
just because of the commercials, either.  Okay, so this year you can't
find any defensemen on the Div 1 Scoring leaders board, but stil...

As I said last year: I'd overcome all of my background and prejudices and
root for a Spartan to win the Hobey if it would mean that a top defensive
blue-liner would win the award.

J. Michael Neal