From:
Joel Mack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joel Mack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:44:16 -0600
On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Larry Haag, Eastman Kodak Co., Rochester, NY wrote:

> Why should it have been a couple of blowout wins for UNO?  "On paper", you have
> one of the top D-III teams in the country (9-0 coming into the weekend) playing
> a D-I team that is still a new program and, by your own admission, is not
> playing well right now.  The upper level D-III teams have done reasonably well
> against low to mid level D-I teams in the past.

Okay, fine, I give up on this one.  It's not embarassing to have a team
that's hung in with top 10 competition this season and beat some
high-level Division I teams last season with essentially the same
personnel get swept at home by a Division III opponent.

> All the negative talk about the UNO team from UNO fans really surprises me, and
> I wonder if you have realistic expectations of the team, coaches, etc.  Aren't
> you in just the second year of the hockey program?  When >>established<< D-III
> teams move up to playing D-I hockey, they usually don't do well at all.  Just
> look at the teams making that move this year.  Should a program that has only
> been around for a few years be expected to field a very competative team?
> Looking at the UNO record, you've lost to some Top 10 teams (Maine, Michigan
> State), Niagara (who has beaten Michigan, Ohio State, and RPI), and had a few
> close games.
>
> Nobody wants to be 2-14.  When RIT has an "off" year, I am naturally
> disappointed, but I am comparing their performance that year to other winning
> years.  Give your team a chance to develop some history.  Maybe you need to
> lower your expectations and let the team, players, and coach grow.  It just
> sounds to me like you are comparing yourself to the "haves" when, right now,
> UNO might legitimately be a "have-not".

Are UNO fans' expectations a little too high?  Probably.  Last season
spoiled some of us, and we don't understand how basically the same squad
can be so dismal this season.  We see flashes of brilliance from these
guys followed by long periods of mediocrity at best.  With the talent I've
seen displayed sporadically, UNO should be a "have", but they definitely
aren't playing like it.

It's tough watching your team find ways to lose games night after night
that you "just know" you should be winning.  :)  But, it's gonna take more
than 2-14 to get me too down.  I watched the Lancers put up a two-year
record of 4-90-2.  Now THAT was painful.  :)

Joel

Joel Mack ([log in to unmask])                         Omaha, NE
Home Page: http://www.tconl.com/~jmack
The UNOfficial UNO Maverick Hockey Home Page:
   http://www.mavhockey.com