From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 13:57:50 -0400
On Oct 13, 12:40, Kevin Ames wrote:
>A victory and loss become a tie: Friday's 4-3 double-overtime victory by
>Boston College over Ohio State in the Icebreaker Cup will be recognized
>as a tie for both teams at NCAA tournament selection time.  That's
>because the score was 3-3 at the end of the five-minute overtime period.
>For all other statistical purposes, it counts as a BC victory and an OSU
>loss.

I'd be interested in hearing what Mr. Wong's source(s) was/were for this
information, because from everything I've heard, the above is an urban legend
with the lifespan of the Craig Shergold story.  To my knowledge, come selection
time, a win is a win, a loss is a loss, a tie is a tie, and nobody at the NCAA
tries to keep track of which overtime games went longer than five extra
minutes. This seems to come up every year, especially if there are conference
tournament games that go deep into the extra session(s). Mike M. even mentioned
this in connection with the same game a few days ago (i.e. nobody's getting a
tie out of this one), and if *he's* not an authority, I dunno who is :-)

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains.  Pretty violent
 image there.  I think if you've got a T-shirt with bloodstains all over it,
 maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem right now."
-- Jerry Seinfeld