Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 13:32:58 EDT
In a message dated 4/7/98, 1:14:59 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:
<<>My friend was unable to attend the game on Saturday and attempted to sell
>two tickets for Saturday on Thursday for FACE VALUE and was arrested and
>hauled off to the police station in a paddy wagon.  They did release him,
>however they kept the tickets and he was blessed with witnessing a person
>who apparently was arrested for drugs get strip searched.  I would have
>never thought that it would be illegle to sell a ticket at face value.  He
>missed about ten minutes of the first game on Thursday.  Incredible...

        Gee, they should hold the Frozen Four in Salt Lake.  Ticket
scalping is legal here, after a recent bill to ban it before the 2002
Olympics failed in the State Legislature.  I was kind of surprised,
since I thought re-selling tickets, even at face value, was illegal in
most states (although I don't consider it immoral if you're not making
a profit).  I believe that's the case in California, since a friend of
mine was once arrested for trying to scalp a ticket to a Paul
McCartney concert in Anaheim.  (She was asking more than face value,
but I'm not sure that would have made a difference.)  Of course, I
don't know how to explain all the ads for tickets in the LA Times
sports and classified sections.

        I guess this is a warning to people to be careful about trying
to sell off extra tickets next year.  My experience (which includes
being ticketed for jaywalking in Santa Barbara) contains no
contradiction of the reputation of Southern California cops.>>

If my memory serves, it is illegal in Mass to resell a ticket to the event w/o
a license. Even if you try to sell it @ face value you can get picked up as
some have found out. For future reference, if you want to get rid of tix to an
event in Mass, sell them in RI. In RI it's ok to sell a ticket to an event
that is in another state. (Found this out during the Patriots playoff game 2
years ago !!!)

-Tom Chestna
Brown '94
Go BRUNO !!!!