From:
Derek D Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Derek D Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:08:08 -0500
Here is a list of what initials I think we should us here on hockey-l.  If
there is any problems, feel free to contact me.

National Collegiate Athetic Association:  NCAAss  (NC$$ just doesn't flip my
pickle anymore)

Final Four:  F4 (this is already used by the government to describe a fighter
jet.  If we ever have the need, we would have to distinguish between the "Final
Four" and the "Attack Fighter")
Ex: "My friends plan on taking the F4 (fighter jet) to the F4 (final four)."
Ex: "The F4 is in Boston this year"  (note that 'fighter jets' do not appear in
this sentence)

Mankato State University: ManSU (I think MS would lead to too much confusion)
Ex: "The ref at the MS game must have MS" (see, this may confuse fellow
hockey-lers)
Ex: (using Derek's system) "The ref at the ManSU game must have MS"

Michigan State University:  MSU
Ex: "MSU was beaten by OSU in the NCAAss Regional"
Since we all know that Michigan State played Ohio State, there is no reason to
type out 'Michigan State' or 'Ohio State'.

Michigan: UofM
Ex: "UofM lost to MSU four times this season, but has advanced to the F4 in the
NCAAss tourney"
Ex: "UofM football will play UofMissouri (note I spelled out the school name)
in the year 1999"

There are several 'standard codes' I think we should employ here.  I hereby
declare a proposal to the hockey-l constitution under the communications act
(Article 43, Section C2) that we initiate a code in which the standard will be
decided upon at at later date.

Proposal:  Hockey-L shall impose a position in which the integrity of the list
shall be protected and a communication standard be employed to establish a "no
confusion" atmosphere.  These such standards shall be in no way derogatory
toward any group, persons, organizations, or establishments related to,
indirectly or directly, and shall be used for the purpose of bandwidth
preservation.

Please, folks, this is VERY important.  I will check my e-mail several more
times a day to see what other ideas people have so that someone such as myself
won't confuse one school with another.  I think we can all get through this if
we work together.  GOOD LUCK!!

Derek Gordon