Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 13:00:16 -0600
Jeremy D Hall wrote:

> Also, Penn State was considered to be one of the initial MAAC Hockey
> teams, but turned down the offer.  So I don't think they're planning on
> going D-1 anytime soon.  Their current rink only holds about 1,100
> (although I *swear* the initial blueprints for the Bryce Jordan Center
> showed that it could be configured for hockey), which would be pretty
> small for D-1.

Two points:

I don't think that PSU CAN join the MAAC.  If they go varsity, that makes six
Big 10 teams and, as I understand the rule, that automatically makes it a
conference sport.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the new arena can be set up for hockey.  I was
talking with someone in the Ohio State athletic department last night, and
the subject came up.  He said they're thinking about it and would have a
rink.

J. Michael Neal