From:
Jeremy D Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremy D Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 11:31:14 -0500
On Wed, 25 Mar 1998 23:14:02 -0600 John Edwards
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>My prediction? For starters, Big 10 Hockey by 2003. I'm not sure I
>particularly like the idea, but I have sense its inevitability.

While I think it would be a great idea (having attended Penn State at one
time), I don't know if it could be up & running in 5 years.  Only 5 of
the 11 teams currently have D-1 teams, and only 2 of the others (Penn
State and Illinois) have consistently good club teams.

Also, Penn State was considered to be one of the initial MAAC Hockey
teams, but turned down the offer.  So I don't think they're planning on
going D-1 anytime soon.  Their current rink only holds about 1,100
(although I *swear* the initial blueprints for the Bryce Jordan Center
showed that it could be configured for hockey), which would be pretty
small for D-1.  And back in 1993, I asked then-assistant coach Dr. Ray
Lombra about PSU ever elevating their program, and he replied that their
philosophy was to wait for the D-1 programs to get fed up with the NC$$,
and all join the ACHA instead (hey, I suppose he could have been pulling
my leg...).

Just my .03 worth (inflation....)

Jeremy Hall
Clarkson '91
LET'S GO TECH!  IT'S PAYBACK TIME!

PENN STATE ICERS - 1998 ACHA DIVISION I NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]