From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 12:39:30 -0700
Adam writes:

>I'd suggest reading the FAQ and other literature on USCHO ... I'd send
>you the URL, but I don't know what it is right now ... e-mail privately
>and I'll help you out.

http://www.uscollegehockey.com/news/1998/03/19_selectionfaq.html

        The last time I checked, it wasn't exactly easy to find on
USCHO, and I haven't seen it announced on this list.  But it is linked
from Keith Instone's NCAA page, and will be from mine as soon as I
finish updating it.

>Actually, what's even more frustrating is that the NCAA is not informing
>everyone themselves -- leaving it up to USCHO to do that job for them.
>Last year, at the convention, they said a concerted effort would be made
>to educate the public and the coaches.  I haven't seen that from them --
>though I'm sure USCHO would be more than happy to help, if asked.

        Two things:

        First of all, not to be self-aggrandizing, but it's not just
USCHO working to inform the public.  I've had a tournament selection
page up since January, Charlie Shub has been posting the current
pairwise comparisons to this list weekly, and Keith Instone has a page
<http://usableweb.com/instone/ncaa/> analyzing the selection criteria
which updated frequently during the conference tournaments.

        Second, the NCAA has helped us understand a lot this year, but
in a reactive rather than an active way.  I deluged them with
questions about the details of the process this year, and they were
very good about answering them.  It would be nice if the NCAA put out
their own explanatory page (like the ECAC's authoritative--albeit
overdue--explanation of how their tiebreakers are applied), but as
long as people like Adam, Keith, Charlie and, well, me, are willing to
go to NCAA officials with questions, maybe crunch a few numbers, and
disseminate the answers ourselves, the on-line public at least will be
better educated than if that conduit of information didn't exist.

                                         John Whelan, Cornell '91
                      <http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/joe.html>

        Learn about the NCAA selection process on the web at
       http://www.slack.net/~whelan/cgi-bin/tbrw.cgi?pairwise
[soon to be updated]