From:
TodNielson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TodNielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 21:09:28 EST

<< 2E Boston College vs. (6E CC/3E Clarkson) winner

 The only chance Clarkson has here is the fact they are the host school.
 Maybe a fluke goal or two will let Clarkson (if, in fact, they even get
 here) move on, but I really doubt it.  Boston College is arguably the
 hottest team in the country with a 10-0-2 mark to end the season.  B.C
 won the Hockey East Tourney earning their bid.  Regardless of the Hockey
 East results, Boston College would be here any ways.  I expect Boston
 College to move onto the Final Four in Boston with a resounding win over
 the host school.

First, just as a "point of information" (gawd, that sounds formal), I think
Rensselaer is the host school. At least that's what I gather from a mailing I
received regarding East Regional tickets, with a big RPI Puckman plastered on
the front.

Beyond that, should Clarkson advance from the first round in Albany, a match-
up against BC should be a very interesting one indeed.  Consider that Clarkson
won ten straight before the ECAC Final, and twelve of their last fourteen, and
I think they can be considered "hot" right along with the Eagles.  Throw in
the fact that Clarkson beat Boston College in Boston back in November, with
then-little used goaltender in Chris Bernard, and you've got quite a match-up.
Then there's the fact that Jerry York is a former Clarkson head coach (even
recruited Dave Taylor, a 17-year NHLer and still the school's leading scorer).
Throw in that this is Boston College's first trip to the NCAAs since '91 (if
memory serves) and the Knights have been every year save one since 1990, and I
don't think that balance tips so far in BC's favor at all.  'Course, I may
have egg all over my face come Sunday, but so be it.

The Woofing Gods prevent me in counter-predicting a score in this one, but let
me just say that I'm hoping for a golden night on Sunday.

<< Princeton is not that good. They are lucky.  They finished 7th in the
ECAC but won the Tourney. >>

I saw Princeton this weekend.  Right now, they are that good.  They play a
tough, physical game, and played well down the stretch, excellently when the
chips were down.  Luck is part of it, but at this stage of the game teams make
their own luck.  Jeff Halpern may have won the ECAC tourney MVP, but Syl Apps
worked his tail off all weekend, and I felt won the ECAC Final for the Tigers,
even if he hadn't scored the game winner.  Consider that they defeated a
decently solid Brown team in the quarterfinals, the defending ECAC tournemant
champion Cornell, regular season champion Yale and their vaunted defense, and
then-#6 Clarkson, and the Tigers SCREAM to be taken seriously. Princeton may
walk out of Yost without a win, but I'd bet it will be closer than 4-0.

<< Taking everything into consideration,
look for Ohio State to easily advance [over Yale] to the second round. >>

On this, we agree.  Yale got stone cold once they locked up the Ivy title, and
held on to take the ECAC regular season. Good thing for goalie Alex Westlund
he's only a junior.

-Todd Nielson
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/todnielson/creasemonkey.html">Crease Monkey
Hockey WWW Page</A>