Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 16:54:13 -0600
Joel Mack wrote:

> Will this "piss off" the WCHA?  Could be, but it seems to me that their
> courtship of UNO cooled substantially after MTU decided to remain in the
> league.  I think UNO deserves a shot to be in a league as soon as
> possible.  Or are they being too pushy?

I think the minimum time requirement is in place for a number of good reasons,
most of which do not apply to UNO.  If the question were solely about the
Omaha program, the correct choice would be to waive the requirement and let
'em on in.  In the real world, though, it isn't so easy.  The WCHA is not
going to bend the rule right now for the good reason that it would make
relations with past entrants (St. Cloud), applications concurrent with UNO's
(Mankato) and potential future applicants (Bemidji) more testy.  If all of
this means that the Mavericks join another conference, I'll be disappointed,
both because I'd like to see them in the conference (yes, I've changed my
mind) and because I think that they'd be making the wrong choice for their own
long term interests.  But that's their call.

J. Michael Neal