From:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:14:04 -0500
----------
> From: Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: hooey
> Date: Tuesday, March 17, 1998 11:28 AM
>
> Adam Wodon writes:
>
> > This I would say, is absolute hooey ... maybe that's just opinion,
> > because I haven't crunched the numbers on it ... but the 10th place
ECAC
> > team is usually stronger than the other conference's weakest teams ...
> > and I'd say the same for 9th and 8th place too.  The ECAC has no real
> > national powerhouse contenders -- though someone could surprise -- but
> > top to bottom, it's quite strong.
>
> Really?  Why, then, do we find the 10th place ECAC team at #42 in the
> RPI, below all other conference affiliates?  Or 4 ECAC teams at #33,
> #34, #36, and #42?
>
> I'm not sure what the proper standard of comparison is for teams at the
> bottom of their conferences.  The RPI isn't really designed to compare
> teams with poor records.  Still, if the RPI is the standard, the
> argument doesn't hold water.
>
> -- Erik

Just wanted to point out that the 10th place team in the ECAC is not at #42
in RPI...but is 34th...you are looking at the 12th placed team...

Regardless, I did crunk some of the numbers of what I believe Adam was
trying to point out...That the teams that in the ECAC that are say 7-10
should be compared to the other league's 7-10 teams...then see what
happens...and here is what happens;) (and yes I know that not all leagues
have a 10th team, but close enough if the ECAC can be judged by its two
extras, HE and WCHA can be judged by their 1 less hehe;))

LEAGUE       AVE RPI        AVE RANK        TEAMS INCLUDED
H.E                 .4401               33.67             Prov., Merr.,
Amherst
WCHA            .4467               34.00              M.T., Denver, A.A.
CCHA             .4675               29.75              N.D., F.S., W.M.,
A.F.
ECAC             .4702               30.25              Prin., Cornell,
UVM, SLU

Does it show what Adam was saying that maybe if comparable teams were
looked at across the board, a different story might emerge?  Not
sure...what it does show is that if all 7-10 teams are compared...the 7-10
in the ECAC *do* have a higher RPI and in two cases have a *much* higher
RPI...take what you will from that...keep judging the ECAC by its 9-12
teams if you want and they why not throw Maine in as the 4th team in HE
even though they are a #6 school...doesn't make much sense to me to compare
a 6th team to a 12th, but oh well:)

Kevin Todd
SLU '96
VLS '00