From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 19:16:49 -0500
Adam's words seem emphatic enough to me, so I guess I'll believe him.
Besides, if he's lying to us, we can always lynch him the next time he
comes to Potsdam.   ;-)

We can remind ourselves 27 times that the committee goes by the PWR
and then crunch the numbers just as often. However, NCAA committees
(no matter the sport) have always gone by a selection process that few of
us comprehend. So, it looks very abstract to the common fan.

Seeing this, one may get the impression that they select teams for the
tournament that "had a tough schedule" or "had a better conference
tournament" or not select teams because they lost in the QF round of
their conference tourney. So, we all get nervous come the 2nd or 3rd
Sunday in March wondering if our team will be "one of the living".

I, for one, am glad to know how the tournament field is selected. This
way, I can determine on my own who may come to Albany this year
or if my team will make it and where they may be placed. Sure, it takes
the suspense out of it, but at least it's more clear cut to the public than
it has been in years past.

This may be the reason why the UVM players & coaches were not sure if
they'd be in the NCAAs after Princeton beat them in the ECACs last year.
Vermont was favored to beat Princeton, so by their own accounts, maybe
they felt they didn't belong. They didn't have the definitive word that they
were in the tournament, so they weren't sure, anyway.

My 2 cents....

-Andy