From:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 16:46:52 -0500
Robin Locke wrote:
"I don't recal seeing this in a game report, but St. Lawrence was one
second away from being eliminated from the playoffs when John Poapst
scored his overtime goal against Cornell.  It wasn't certain until
Harvard finished its game and beat Vermont that an SLU-Cornell tie
would mean SLU was out of the playoffs.  Fortunately, the
Harvard-Vermont game finished just as the SLU-Cornell overtime was
starting and Tim Danehy was able to get word to SLU's coach Marsh that
SLU needed to win.  Marsh, having confidence in Danzer's calculations,
then pulled the SLU goalie for the last 40 seconds of overtime.  SLU
got a face-off in the Cornell end with just five seconds remaining,
knowing that postseason was gone if they didn't score.  SLU's Anderson
won the face-off and DiFrancesco slid the puck out to Poapst at the
center blue-line.  Poapst waited for enough traffic to gather in front
of Ian Burt, then let fly and miraculously found an opening to the back
of the net with 0:01 on the clock.  Quite a celebration followed."

If this is not the definition of a miracle I am not sure what is:)  That is
the major impression I came away with from this weekend...I year of
struggle and disappointment made into a year of amazement with one weekend
of hockey...I feel for Dartmouth and am sad they did not make the playoffs,
but I will not take anything away from two performances of total heart and
determination by the Saints...it was almost a tractable feeling both nights
that the team simply *would not* allow a loss...even when there was only 5
seconds left, I turned to the people sitting around me and expressed that
the game was *not* over...and it wasn't...again, call it a miracle...call
it the cinderella team...call it the essence of heart...call it luck...I
call it amazing all the way around:)  Whatout Yale, here we come!

Kevin Todd
SLU '96
VLS '00