From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 20:34:37 -0500
On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Kepler wrote:

> 2 and 3 with PWR seeds), so this stretch drive also has ramifications
> throughout the NCAA for the bubble teams in each conference.  Throw in
> RPI's guaranteed placement in Albany no matter what, and you have the
> makings of some east squad waking up extremely unhappy in Michigan...

While I certainly applaud the sentiment (perhaps a new NC$$ regulation
whereby the host school always participates in their local championship
event), I must point out that in order to be guaranteed a place at the
Knick come Pepsi Arena, RPI will have to win the tournament.  Further,
since the ECAC has gone to a poorly understood Final Five concept,
realistically RPI would have to finish the regular season in third place.
For proof of this statement you only have to look at the history of the
WCHA.  It is virtually impossible to win from the #5 position, and nearly
as difficult to win from the #4.  The ECAC pairs #4 vs. #5, making each
one face the daunting prospect of playing three games in three nights.
I can't imagine a scenario where the 4 or 5 makes it through.  In fact I
think the Final Five is awful, and the fans, after one year of it, are not
going to like it one bit.  (Attendance may be up however simply by
bringing one more team to Lake Placid.)

OK.  Now to get to third place, I believe RPI has to sweep the
Colgate/Cornell weekend.  RPI has not met with great success in Hamilton
and Ithaca, especially the past two seasons.  In fact, I think RPI has a
better chance to beat Yale at home than Colgate and Cornell on the road.

But, it is a nice thing to dream about...
Brian Morris               RPI Engineers--Turning Around the Season?