From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 17:41:56 -0600
On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Pat Host wrote:

> OK, I have a ? that really is bugging me.  OK, buying new hockey
> equipment is expensive, I can attest to that being a goalie myself.  And
> if NCAA Div. 1-A cannot hold jobs during the season, neverless during
> the whole year, how can players get new equipment every year?

Actually, that has just changed at the most recent NC$$ meeting. Formerly
an NC$$ player's combined scholarship and job income wasn't allowed to
exceed the amount of a full scholarship. Now they can earn $2000 more
than that, and the schools are now allowed to set up jobs for the
student-athletes. IMHO, this redefines the phrase "dumb idea".

>  Example,
> Jason Allison, goalie for Cornell, got the new '97 Brians blocker, and
> this costs $200.00 (US).  And the Cornell players have the new Bauer
> 5000 Gloves, and these cost $150.00. And a lot of the players have the
> new CCM 952 skates, which are $325.00.  How can these players afford new
> equipment like this?

The team supplies most (if not all) of the equipment. For that reason,
I'm also pretty sure they don't pay full price for it. (Companies like it
if you order 20 of something at once. :-) )

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards - [log in to unmask] - http://www.islandnet.com/~jedwards
      There are no stupid questions, only stupid people - Mr. Garrison