From:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:02:43 -0400
> Dave Wollstadt [[log in to unmask]] wrote:
>
> Does this mean that it's OK for a hockey player to enroll at a school,
not
> attend classes, and simply withdraw from those classes after not
attending
> them (or not attending enough of them to pass)? Aren't student
athletes
> supposed to be students in some meaningful sense?

Who ever said that Dan LaCouture didn't attend classes?  From all
reports, the incompletes/withdrawals were due to a serious family
emergency.  To speculate such as this with no basis in fact is not fair
to anyone involved.

While I am uncomfortable with the possibility of the classes not being
made up, I do not think that this is a situation where a student-athlete
is getting special benefits from a University.  Family and medical
emergencies and withdrawals as a result thereof are usually given plenty
of leeway when it comes to making up courses at most schools.  I don't
think anybody could make up a full semester's worth of courses and still
maintain a normal course schedule the rest of the way.

From my experience in working at Harvard's Registrar Office, such
situations there were put before a review board who decided how to
handle them on an individual basis.  I do not think that it was unheard
of for withdrawals for the semester to be granted, irregardless of
whether or not the student participated in athletics.

Adam Bryant
BU '89 (read into this whatever you like :)
NU '95