From:
Ryan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 13:30:20 -0400
Here is a Very brief run-down of the Huskies Awards Banquet which was held
this past Saturday night...

The evening started with a welcome from Athletic Director Rich Yeo who
started out by saying "And to Coach Tim Waters, 'Your Welcome!'" (Tim was
an assistant coach for the Boston Bruins last year, and as of a few days
ago the entire coaching staff of the Bruins was fired)

 The individual awards went as follows:
        Outstanding Freshman            Brad Mueller
        Sportsmanship                   John Kisil
        Scholastic                      Travis VanTighem (3.59 in BA)
        Scholastic & Athletic           Travis VanTighem
        Outstanding Defenceman          Travis VanTighem
        Leading Scorer                  Andre Savage (2nd yr in a row)
        Most Improved                   Lubos Crajcovic
        Most Valuable                   Luciano Caravaggio
        WCHA Def Player of the Week     Luciano Caravaggio (twice)
        All-WCHA Third team             Andre Savage

Some of the other fun times were the Freshmen questions where 6 of the 8
frosh got asked questions such as:
        --Who's the biggest flirt on the team?--Brad Mueller
        --Tell us about the first girl you kissed.--No description but he
        did mention that the girl was now dating someone else on the team
        --Hartnell was asked to demonstrate the Macerana--He Failed.
        --What's your idea of the perfect wife?--Nelson was speachless.
        --Who is the Prof you make sure to avoid when scheduling?

The night also included a great tape of video highlights to music and
video from Dave Fisher that he had taken on the road trips with his
camcorder.  Some of these highlights included:
        Two guys talking about their matching pillow cases
        Savage piling up stuff on a sleeping Meyer's head on the plane
        Looch pickin his nose in the airport (slow-motion)
        Jeff Mikesch doing a victory dance after beating CC in 93 playoffs
        Dave asking the people of St Cloud if they knew who Tim "Muddy"
        Waters was. One kid answered "He's a writer and I think we read
        some of his stuff in our class."

Coach Watters and several of the players mentioned the Pep Band and
thanked the band for their efforts.  In fact at my table in addition to
Andre Savage and his brother, was an Alum of the PB from the early 70's.
I got a great history lesson and a lot of insight into "how things used to
be."

I can't wait for next year!  I think the best line of the night came from
Kyle Peterson when he told coach Watters "Coach after you played here you
could say that you played for one of the greatest coaches ever (MacInnes).
I challenge you to make sure that I'll be able to say the same thing in
the future."

Ryan Johnson
Michigan Tech Pep Band
Go Tech!