From:
Russ Bone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russ Bone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 12:49:42 -0700
Tony Frolik (Anthony Frolik) wrote:

> Well, it's finals week here in Minneapolis, the hockey team is 4 wins away
> from a national championship, so is the basketball team; what a great
> winter!!
>
> I have fallen behind, but I would like to make just a few comments:
>
> >WCHA Rookie of the Year:    Brant Nicklin, Minnesota-Duluth
> >WCHA All-Rookie Team
> >Forwards:  Toby Petersen, CC; Dave Spehar, MN; Bud Smith NMU
> >Defense:   Curtis Doell, UMD; and Ben Clymer, MN
> >Goalie:    Brant Nicklin, UMD
> >All information taken from the Star Tribune 3/15/97
> >
> >-Carol
>
> I was quite surprised by this.  I really thought Spehar would be Freshman
> of the Year...He was the third(?) leading scorer on the co-championship team, and
> led that team in game-winning goals.

Just to add another wrinkle to your surprise, Spehar finished behind
Toby Peterson from CC in the All-Rookie Team voting for the WCHA, so he
was likely the third place finisher in the voters' minds (This can't be
stated with certainty, because the Rookie of the Year and the All-Rookie
Team are separate votes.)  Being from CC country, I can't help but
applaud their wisdom in the voting, though I assume you'll respectfully
disagree.