From:
"Robert D. Flint" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert D. Flint
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 09:23:43 -0500
I agree with Mark Lewan that the past is the past BUT...  I've had the
opetunity to watch Cornell play six times this year and IMHO they weren't
that good.  So how have they managed to never fall below second place in the
ECAC and how are they currently heading for an NCAA bid?  I think this has a
lot to do with Coach Shafer.  In case no one noticed, Cornell doesn't have a
Todd White, Brendan Morrison, or St. Loius + Perrin (hope I spelled everyone
right)  They do have two great goalies, but what has made tehir team win is
that Coach Shafer has gotten his players to give it their all.  Bill Fenwich
predicts a one goal lost to RPI because he thinks that Cornell isn't a team
with a mission.  Try telling that to Jason Elliot, who stood on his head vs.
Harvard, Mike Rutter, who came out for blood and points, and Jeff Oats, who
always plays his hardest and scores when I show up (which I will) and the
rest of the team.  It was coach Shafer who lead his team to tie vs. Michigan
IN Michigan this year.   He's done a great job with a struggling team, and
anyone whose seen many Cornell games this year has to know why they win.
Having said that, Congrats to Stan Moore.  Personally, I think most of the
coaches have done a great job this year, and they all deserve the award.

        As for the "Clarkson Rule", if you can manage to win your league,
and the tourneyment, I think that says you know how to win and when.  Teams
like Vermont, who blew the second half of the year and lost to Princton at
home deserve to NOT have a bye.  UNH too, blew it with respect to BU, losing
to them three times this year.  I feal if you can get the job done, you
should get the bye.  I think with four byes and four league, we could cut
all the argumentsevery year and give a bye to each league.  Sure some teams
would get the pairwise shaft, but if they didn't perform in their league,
that's there own fault.

just my .04 (that's twice .02)    -Rob Flint

http://nemo.hamilton.edu/personal/rflint/
Hamilton College
198 College Hill Rd.
Clinton, NY 13323