From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 14:59:57 -0700
        Okay, we fans have approximately three hours to make honest
predictions/opinions about the ECAC Coach of the Year.  (I know, the
ballots were handed in Tuesday, but I don't think any of the four
coaches involved are serious candidates.)  Given the way the season
turned out, I have to shy away from RPI's Dan Fridgen.  I still think
Union's Stan Moore's accomplishments are the most impressive, but
there is one good reason (Trevor Koenig) and one bad reason (he's a
first-year coach) why he won't get it.  (In fact, if he does, I'll be
a little annoyed after Cornell's Mike Schafer didn't get it last
year.)
        I think that makes it a two-horse race between Fridgen and
Schafer.  Both took young teams predicted to finish in the middle of
the league (Cornell 6, RPI 7) and led them to top-four finishes after
flirting with the lead for much of the season.  I think Cornell's
preseason placement was a bit low, but if you take it at face value
and observe that Cornell finished higher than RPI both overall and
relative to their predicted finish, Schafer has to get the edge.  Also
(and this may just be because I get more exposure to Cornell),
Schafer's *coaching* seems a lot more visible: motivational
techniques, bold strategies, etc.  And perhaps there'll be the guilt
factor for not picking him last year.  Or maybe they'll punish him for
violating the "gentleman's agreement" on illegal sticks.

                                        John Whelan, Cornell '91
        <http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/jshock.html>

Cornell Men's Ice Hockey: 1996-7 Ivy League Champions,
ECAC regular season runners-up.  WE WANT MORE!  WE WANT THE ECACs!