From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg R. Berge
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 13:21:07 -0500
> I have one thing to say,
>
> UNION all the way!!!

If they play the way they did two weeks ago against Cornell, they certainly
have a shot.  But I think they may have drawn the worst possible QF
opponent -- RPI plays a waiting game, well, and Union's best weapon is the
intolerable frustration of not being able to set anything up.  It almost
feels like being on a 60 minute *bad* powerplay, when you feel like you
have all the time in the world to set up the play, but you keep shooting
youself in the... well, in the foot will do.  Anyway, RPI seems to be able
to deal with that without getting frustrated -- I imagine Vermont in
particular and perhaps also Clarkson are driven NUTS by UC's "passive
aggressiveness".

I know that this is no accident, and that this frustration should be fully
credited to Union's excellent defense, because I saw Brian McCutcheon's
squads play it to the hilt.  In '89, Brian's team pulled off a big upset at
Clarkson in the QF, following up a first game win with a second game
scoreless tie.

It is *brutal* to watch, but in front of competent goaltending it can be
effective.  In front of superlative goaltending like Koenig's... well, I
think Union has as much right to feel hopeful as any squad.  They also have
the great playoff secret weapon: a whole mess o' seniors who don't want to
retire just yet.

- Greg