Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 03:09:27 -0600
Dave Hendrickson wrote:

> Even if Anderson finished second in the league and had some success in
> the NCAAs two of the last three years and won Coach of the Year those two
> years, he'd still have a tough time recruiting.
>
> How can I be sure of that?  Just look at Lowell.  That's exactly what happened
> to that program and Bruce Crowder.  Even with all of Crowder's awards and
> success, recruiting was still an uphill climb.

There is also a perfect example of this from the other side.  I think
that Red Berenson is a great coach.  Nevertheless, it was a lot easier
for him to rebuild the Michigan program when he took over twelve years
ago.  Recruiting to Ann Arbor was easy, or at least as easy as anything
gets in the recruiting business.  Red started getting players like Todd
Brost and Myles O'Connor, to say nothing of a Denny Felsner, before he
had achieved the kind of success that Bruce Crowder or Ron Anderson
have.  It isn't an accident that it happened at a school on TV all the
time, with 35,000 students and a 7,500 seat arena.

J. Michael Neal