From:
Derek D Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Derek D Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:54:18 -0500
The MSU vs Michigan Rivalry in my opinion is one of the best in the country.
When these two schools meet, regardless of the sport, there are some bitter and
hostile feelings.  I have been spit on in Yost Arena when i went to see MSU
play them there.  I ahd an 80 year man throw food on me when i cheered for an
MSU goal!  Now, if you ask any Michigan fan, I am sure they have some awful
stories as well when they visited MSU.  For whatever reason, MSU seems to play
Michigan tough (no matter what sport) and they are relatively successful
against the Wolverines.  I feel the Wolverines are incredible and are on theie
way to winning it all again, and it burns Michigan players and fans bad when
MSU beats them.  MSU seems to play at the level of the team they are playing,
and we lose games that we are supposed to win.  This is college sports, thats
going to happen.  These two schools are only an hour away from each other, bith
have world class hockey programs, and both HATE losing (especially to each
other)
Michigan vs Michigan State is an event over here, and over in Ann Arbor as
well.  And the thing is, that's what it is all about.  Watchign two schools
that hate each other play their hearts out is incredible.  This rivalry is fun
to watch, and whenb you get caught up in it, your hooked.  When MSU beats
Michigan, people see how much fun it is to be a Spartan; And when Michigan
beats MSU, Michigan fans know they were the best in the state that day.
And it is even better whebn you have educated fans, fans that follow and
understand this sport, fans that support their team win or lose.
Both schools have them, a lot of them.  Most schools do.
Just my $.02

Derek
http://www.msu.edu/user/gordonde/hockey.html