Steve Wintner [log in to unmask]
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 03:20:50 GMT
Michael Willen ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Siren Chudgar <[log in to unmask]> wrote in article
: > Seeing the many posts on the list about Harry Ammian makes me want to
: > contribute my 0.02.
: >
: > I have seen many hockey games in the last four years at Clarkson and
: > Harry Ammian was a referee at many of them.  I believe that Ammian is a
: > good referee with a good knowledge of the rules of the game
:
: Way to go!  This RPI fan agrees whole heartedly with you.  Harry is fair
: and consistent.
:
: Mike
:
: HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
: [log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

Yeah, I'm an RPI fan too.....

Wow. Were we watching the same game ? I think Ammian is one of the absolute
worst refs I have ever seen anywhere. My 80+ year old grandma would do a
better job calling penalties because "its not nice". Jesus. He seems to
pick a call, and almost every call during the game will be that call. Vs.
Army it was high sticking. Lets see - i swear i've seen him call high
sticking on guys who don't have sticks. In general, I think he calls the
little, inconsequential stuff three miles from the play, but wouldn't call
anything if the goalie got his head chopped off. If it affects the play or
is seriously dangerous, it isnt called, but all the nothing calls get made.

He isn't consistent, and his only good point is that he does a good job
of seeing the stuff behind the play. He can't see anything near the play,
mind you....

There'll be a sign at the next RPI game Ammian refs. Look for it if you
want to talk...

-Steve