From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1991 21:46:00 EST
It's been a quiet night out there tonite.

After being so absolutely negative about OSU hockey, I thought I might add a
slightly positive note.

Bill Fenwick (the hockey-l pollmaster and my personal savior in curing my
computer illiteracy) mentioned that if Cornell doesn't get some offense,
goaltender Parris Duffus will become a contender for enshrinement in the Great
Goaltenders Who Couldn't Buy A Victory Hall of Fame.  Another nominee for that
honor would have to be OSU's Mike Bales.

I don't know his exact stats, but they really don't look good.  I do know that
just before the W. Michigan weekend (Nov.8-9) he was at a .843 Pct and a GAA of
 5.46.  Additionally, he's only faced a slightly above-average volume of shots.
 So why am I praising him?  You have to look at the type of shots he is facing.
 Every shot taken on him this year has been point-blank or some form of
breakaway.  While he may only face 25-28 shots, every shot is coming from a
cutter streaking down the slot or someone who is just standing there, face to
face with him. I'm not exaggerating on this.  Just watching a game makes you
feel sorry for him.  He'll make two impossible saves, but on the third rebound,
the puck still won't be cleared and the shot finally finds the net.

One question for any goalies out there.  When you got pummelled (assuming that
ever happened to you),and had given up several goals, would you have preferred,
for your own self-confidence, to be taken out or left in?  Even if Bales has
given up 7 or 8 goals (unfortunately not rare for this defense), Welsh never
pulls him as I've seen other coaches do.  Just wondering.

Yours in hockey

--
R. David Smith (Dave) [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95