From:
"McArdle, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McArdle, Tom
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 1996 00:15:54 -0500
-- [ From: McArdle, Tom * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Date: Wednesday, 10-Apr-96 11:02 PM

From: D B Doucette

"If you had reviewed the numerous threads during the championship weeks, you
would have seen the great numbers of posts from fans asking how they could
see their teams on TV from Albany, etc.  Well, the most common solution was
- buy a DBS dish.

Now, I know someone has to originate the programming, and it is mostly the
regional sports networks (by the benevolence of the NC$$) who do so, but how
does it get to YOU in your home.  IMHO, it will only get worse before it
gets better."

###

There you go again D B !!   It IS getting better than before.

  I started following college hockey in the late 60's when Badger Bob
Johnson started playing at the old Heartmeyer (sp?) Area in Madison, WI.  TV
?...never.  Radio?... not for years.  Newspaper copy?...  If you searched
hard and long.  Seasons went by and radio and TV (public, delayed) improved
coverage with the success of the program.  The Dane County Coliseum brought
more fans and more regional coverage.

  Now we have the option of DBS, full size satellite systems, expanding
cable (sorry it's not in your backyard
yet) with ESPN, ESPN2, and talk of new national sports channels.  That IS
better than before.  Call a few
friends before next years season wraps up and then march into a local sport
bar/restaurant together.  You'll
be suprised at how quickly the manager can change the dish for a group of
customers.  In basketball crazy
Louisville,KY two of us got the Thurs. NCAA semi-final game at a pizza joint
last year. 20 years ago, all you
could get at a pizza joint was heartburn, a guy in a striped-shirt and straw
hat playing the banjo, or muzak.

  The game is out there if you just get a little creative.

Tom McArdle
On Wisconsin