From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark J. Sonnier
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 12:15:15 -0900
The discussion of Nike, Reebok et al sponsoring college teams brings up an
interesting question.  I know that some, if not all, of the four hockey
conferences have arrangements with CCM, Canstar (er, Nike) etc to supply
member teams with sticks, helmets and other tools of the trade.  UAA, for
example, received a $5000 merchandise credit this season from Canstar for
being affiliated with the WCHA.

I wonder if these league arrangements offer potential conflicts for schools
who choose to strike their own deals with sponsors.  Jerry Jones and the NFL
come to mind.

It also strikes me as a bit hypocritical that Nike can throw millions at the
mucky-mucks at Big State U in the name of "amateur" athletics while I've got
to worry about buying my student athlete buddy a beer if I don't also buy
one for the rest of the student body.

But I digress...

Mark Sonnier