From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 00:12:45 -0100
A few thoughts from this weekend's East Regional action...

* The ECAC teams gave a superb account of themselves.  I didn't think it
was a case of "proving they belonged", rather, proving that they could play
well and get the job done when it counted.  That was nice to see.

* Cornell really impressed with their play against LSSU.  No one stood out,
but Cornell showed themselves to be a well-coached team that works hard and
never gives up.  The Big Red nearly forced overtime when Drouin clanged one
off the post late.  What Cornell lacked in size against LSSU, they more
than made up for in heart and effort.

* Clarkson rode an incredible goaltending performance by Dan Murphy to a
2-0 lead after two, then they capitalized on Western Michigan falling part
to put the game away despite being outshot 36-30 (28-14 after two).  This
could have been a different game if Murphy had not turned aside the handful
of breakaways he faced in the first period.  WMU took several bad penalties
in the third and this really hurt them; frustration at not being able to
solve Murphy probably contributed.  Also credit the Clarkson defense, which
played extremely well both nights (other than allowing those breakaways
early vs WMU).

* The single biggest factor in BU defeating Clarkson was Jack Parker moving
Chris O'Sullivan back to defense (actually done last week).  BU's defensive
play, their biggest question mark, has stabilized since this move was made.
O'Sullivan gives them more offense from the point, but more importantly,
he is very good defensively.  Clarkson only had 13 shots through two
periods.

* LSSU goalie John Grahame and WMU goalie Marc Magliarditi both played well
despite their teams losing.  Magliarditi didn't get much help.  And Grahame
cannot be faulted on either Vermont goal.  LSSU played a tough defensive
style that contained Vermont's Eric Perrin & Martin St Louis much of the
game, which is an achievement in itself.  Vermont only had 11 shots through
two periods in a 1-1 game.

* Perrin and St Louis are going to be a joy to watch for the fans in Cincy
who have not seen them before.  They are probably the most talented players
I have seen since Paul Kariya, and I envy the ECAC followers who have
gotten to see more of them than I have.  Both have 83 points.  Perrin made
a wonderful play on UVM's first goal on the power play, when he showed pass
to Ruid from behind the net and then suddenly went the other way to St
Louis for a one-timer goal from about ten feet out.  Everyone in the
building thought the puck was going to Ruid.

* I believe it was St Louis - forgive me if it was Perrin - who showed us
what we were in for right off the opening draw when he went in on a rush,
faked pass to his wing and then kicked the puck with his skate back to his
forehand for a cannon blast that had Grahame scrambling.  Truly a
jaw-dropping move.

* If there is a criticism I had of the French Connection, it was that too
many times in the first two periods, they tried to make the pretty play
that would get the crowd to ooh and aah rather than work on getting the
puck on net.  As mentioned earlier, Vermont only had 11 shots on goal and
20 for the game.  However, LSSU did a fine job of converging on the guy
with the puck and shutting off the pass, which was a factor.  This is
probably what CC will have to do to stop them.  But they still got their
two goals and it was enough to win, especially with the way Tim Thomas
shone in net.  Grahame was no slouch, but Thomas was the biggest reason
Vermont won, stopping 32 of 33 shots.

* Finally, with all of the accolades Perrin and St Louis get for their
offense, it was Perrin who saved the day by diving in front of a shot by
Sean Tallaire in the closing minutes with Grahame out for an extra attacker
and Thomas out of position.  Thomas said in the paper, "Eric has always
been proud of his goaltending duties." :-)

This will be a great Final Four.  I can see any of the four teams winning,
and all four teams have players who will be exciting to watch for the fans.
There will be no doubt that whoever comes away as the champion will have
earned it, and the fans will probably leave knowing that they witnessed
some games and players to remember for a long time to come.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93