From:
"Jason W. Roy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason W. Roy
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:05:55 -0600
On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, John Haeussler wrote:

> Another jewel from Steve Crowe's college hockey article
> in today's DETROIT FREE PRESS:
>
> (begin quoted material)
> WCHA: Michigan Tech coach Bob Mancini feels his team
> deserves one of the 12 berths in the NCAA tournament
> despite an 18-18-6 record and a 7-2 loss to Minnesota in
> the WCHA final Saturday night.  Northern Michigan coach
> and athletic director Rick Comley, also chairman of the NCAA
> hockey committee, has said that Tech's mediocre record
> disqualifies it from consideration.  "That's what they tell us,"
> Mancini said, "but I can't see that anywhere in the tournament
> selection rules.  We're 1-2-1 against Colorado College, 1-2
> against Minnesota, 2-1-1 against Wisconsin -- and we have
> a winning record against everybody else.  And without a
> doubt, we're the hottest team in the WCHA right now."
> (end quoted material)
>
> Yeah, right.  Tell me, do you spell Bob with one "o" or two? :-)
> It appears that Mancini could learn a lot by being on Hockey-L
> and/or Info-Hockey-L.  Take away Tech's win over Laurentian
> and you have an NCAA record of 17-18-6, not enough to be a
> team under consideration.  I'm sure the .500 or better isn't written
> down in black and white, but we've been hearing about it all
> season.  If you and I know the NCAA selection criteria, you
> would think that Mancini would.  And, if MTU is only one game
> below .500 versus CC, Minn and Wisc, it makes them .500
> against everyone else...hardly "a winning record against
> everbody else."  As for hottest team in the WCHA...WHO
> CARES?!  What, Mancini wants to replace a .500 record with
> "hottest team" as a criterion?  MTU is 6-3-1 over 10 and 10-7-3
> in their last 20.  Of course, they are the last team to beat CC.
> If we follow that logic, shouldn't we let Merrimack in first?  The
> Warriors are the last team to beat BU and they finished 2-1-0
> in their last 3!  Four of their final five losses were by one goal
> to quality opponents.  C'mon, NCAA, get 'em in there!  Let's not
> stop there.  Michigan State gets in for being the last team to
> beat Lake Superior, who gets in for being the last team to beat
> Michigan.  Or, maybe we should let Team Canada in, who beat
> LSSU and MSU.  Hey, Team Canada is 2-0-0 versus the CCHA...
> Michigan Tech is 0-3-0!
>
> And, please don't forget Air Force.  They haven't lost a game
> since February 17th.
>
> Also in Steve Crowe's column was an interesting quote from
> Ron Mason following Sunday night's game: "We're so beat
> up right now that, as crazy as this may sound, I said to my
> staff, 'If I knew we were going to get into the NCAAs, I wouldn't
> care if we lost tonight,' because our guys need some time to
> heal and regroup."
>

> John H ([log in to unmask])

-------------------
Okay --- I think the NCAA selction committee needs to make some changes!!!!

Tech deserves a berth in the NCAA's
-The Fact is that they are playing their best hockey when it counts!!!!!
                             The PlayOFF's

Why even have playoffs?
--Give the regular season champ of each league an automatic bid.
--Then let the playoffs decide who gets in from their

Michigan Tech is hot!!!!!! Red Hot!!!!!!!!!
--the Gophers cooled them off, but things would have been different if it
wasn't Tech 3rd game in 3 nights.

---Lets look at Record over the last few weeks......
Win and Tie ---vs Denver
Win and Loss ---vs UND
WIN and WIN ---vs UMD-----1st round of the Playoffs
Win     ---Quarter- Final --- vs SCSU
Win     ---Semi-Final----     vs CC
Loss     ----Final---         vs Minn

Record over last 9 games   6 - 2 - 1
---that 6-2-1 record is against the cream of the crop in the WCHA

----Wether they get in or Not-----Lets get one thing clear------

MICHIGAN TECH  DESERVES A BID TO the NCAA...........

The NCCA selection process is a crock of Sh!t if Denver gets in an Tech
doesn't ----Why you might ask?

--Denver packed it in when it counted
Denver got 1 point at Tech
Denver got 1 point at Alaska
Dever got beat by SCSU 2 games to 1 - at home in the first round

--Don't tell me we ar egoing to let Denver represent the WCHA with way
they are playing-----

They say they want the 12 best team in the tourny.......
---it should be the 12 best at the end of the season and playoffs----the
teams playing their best at TOURNAMENT time.....

---If the WCHA gets 3 bids-----Tech deserves the bid before Dever.

- I would argue the same for Wisconsin if they would have beat Minn or
CC, but I still feel Wisconsin desrves the bid before Denver---because
Wisconsin is playing their best hockey at tournament time....

---If Denver gets in, they will have not played a hockey game for 3 weeks....
---and they are probably on their worst downslide of the season......

-Mancini did a heck of job with Huskies over the year, they were
inconsistent, but turned it on for the end of the season and the playoffs
and beat some very good teams...

---If its not in the rules----Tech ---does have a shot!!!!!!!
-------Unwritten rules are ---NOT---- Rules

----I saw Techs last 7 games-----
UND/UMD- Live and the Final Five on MSC
---They deserve a bid-- they are a playing great hockey......

----also I would like to appluad the WCHA officiating for the Final Five----
-I've been very critical of the officiating this year, but they did a
heck of a job for the Final Five......they let the teams decide the
outcome.....wow, what a concept........hopefully this continues next
year......MSC-did a great job also with the Final Five.......

Jason Roy
University of Manitoba
Go Tech!!!!!!!