From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 02:41:45 EST
-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

>> He was able to control the chippiness that often
>> dominates Brown/Princeton contests, and prevented
>> Princeton from playing its usual clutch-and-grab game by
>> calling holding penalties against the Tigers early and
>> often ...
>
> Not to nitpick, but the penalties in the first period were
> as follows:
> 0614 B Hoiness (Cross-checking)
> 1148 B Mooney (roughing) (and a brutal call at that)
> 1319 P Masters (hooking)
> 1659 B Flynn (hooking)

God am I glad there's someone as rational and cool-tempered as Geoff to
respond Luiz' drivel.  I'm staying out of it this time - Geoff does a
good enough job.

>> It may have taken four years, but I hope Princeton
>> defenseman Jason Smith has finally realized that the
>> smaller Brown players won't be intimidated by his
>> size. It was was inspiring to see Mike Flynn and Damian
>> Prescott carrying on Erich Trach's tradition, and
>> standing up to Smith ...

Yeah, I cried I was so inspired. But when Princeton's smaller players
stood up to Brown's antics last year in the playoffs, it was Princeton
fault for "clutching-and-grabbing" it's way to 2 wins.

> If you were 6-4, 225 and one of only two or three overtly
> physical players on your team, you might find yourself
> needing to play the intimidator's roll pretty often. If
> Jason Smith DIDN'T try and intimidate opposing players, I
> wouldn't want him on my team. Of course Flynn and Prescott
> (and Trach before them) didn't back down -- they are tough
> kids.  Being the biggest guy out there isn't easy -- if
> someone knocks you down, you look bad.

I couldn't agree more -- it's silly to think Jason wouldn't use his
size, and it's also admirable that Brown players don't back down.
   Maybe you guys are just upset because Jason always plays great
against Brown, including an incredible three games last year in the
playoffs.
   But, the bottom line is, James Mooney does the same exact thing for
Brown, and he had a pair of devastating open-ice hits against Princeton
this year (both perfectly legal). I have all the respect in the world
for Mooney because he does nothing dirty that I often see players like
Mulhern do. I love open-ice hits, it's my favorite play in hockey.  And,
after the game, he and Jason Smith exchanged pleasantries and wished
each other luck.

AW