From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Steve
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 12:59:00 PST
I almost hate to bring it up, but since no one else has...
...Frank Cole didn't make many friends in East Lansing in 1985 with his
performance (which overshadowed the Spartans, along with Chris Terreri) in
the NCAA quarterfinals (or whatever they were called then) in the
MSU-Providence series.
I've seen him on numerous occasions since then (how OLD is he already???),
and his pattern seems to be lots of penalties in the first 10 minutes
(establishing HIS presence), then putting the whistle away.
Check out the stats from last year's NCAA Final Four, and you'll see what I
mean.
On a more constructive note, I've never seen a college goaltender play
better than Terreri did during the ECACs and NCAAs that year. And I go back
to Tony Esposito/Ken Dryden in the mid-'60s.
Steve Klein
In my opinion Frank Cole and Rob Hearn are the two best referees in the
ECAC.