From:
"Kevin B. Powers" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin B. Powers
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 11:10:30 -0500
Does anyone know the extent of the injury sustained by the Brown player
in the 3rd period of the Brown-Union game?  What caused the injury?  It
happened in the corner that I have a hard time seeing from my seat.  The
game was stopped for 10+ minute while he was being attended to.  All I
saw was left leg imobalized as he left the ice, but he was not taken off
on a stretcher, just assisted by teammates.

I'm asking this, because it appeared that he (the injured Brown player)
was standing with crutches next to the penalty boxes when Union tied the
game with 6 1/2 minutes left, and then 'walked' back to the locker room
after the goal.

This incident as well as another that occurred in the 3rd, involving
Union's Russ Montieth, brings to mind this question.  In the light of
the Travis Roy incident, when a player goes down with an apparent injury,
when is the referee required to stop to the game?

In the case of Montieth, Union had just gained the blue line, and Montieth
made a nice drop pass, but paid for it by getting leveled (clean hard
check).  He appeared to be in pain, and was not trying to get up.  Union
maintained control of the puck in the zone, away from the down player.
When Montieth tried to get up, to get to the bench, he fell back to the
ice.  The referee appeared to watch him struggle as Union had an
excellent scoring chance (late in a tie game).  The whistle finally was
blown when a Brown player touched the puck.

Montieth was clearly dazed but skated off with little assistance, and he did
not come out for the handshake at the end of the game.  Probably a
concussion.

KP