From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 01:10:14 -0100
Glen Keeney writes [on INFO-HOCKEY-L]:
>  I've gotten some messages here commenting on and/or making recommendations
>as to how to handle the Maine situation as far as H-L POLL is concerned and
>a couple suggestions that I state how it should be done.  At the moment I
>feel that is something that should not be decided by me.  You will notice
>that some have omitted Maine from their ballots.

I think this points out a problem with the HOCKEY-L poll, one that may or
may not exist in other polls: some people are probably deciding that Maine
does not belong on a ballot because they won't be playing in the NCAAs.
Those people would appear to be voting based on how they think the NCAA
tourney will wind up.  Others are probably still trying to rank the top
teams regardless of this situation.

>  If you have any thoughts, lemme know; but for the moment I'll just
>record what comes in.

I suppose that is all that can be done, but IMO, if the poll is meant to
rank the top teams, then voters should include Maine...unless they truly
feel Maine is not one of the top 15 or so teams in the country.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93