From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 10:11:09 -0700
I will respond to this on list, but after this post I think private
e-mail is the way to handle this so as not to subject others to what is
clearly a very divergent viewpoint (either way)

On Thu, 28 Dec 1995, greenie wrote:

> >Do you know Sean Haggerty, or the other players I mentioned?  If not, you
> >are making an unwarranted assumption about their character.
>
> I spoke of the criticism from the media and the fans. Whether I know them
> personally or not doesn't really matter, does it? In the above I merely
> expressed the criticism of the MEDIA and the FANS.

IMO it does matter since you are *assuming* he would not be a team player.

> I NEVER said that "all the team players go to college and all the
> individually oriented players play juniors." NEVER.

In effect you are saying that by indicating Parker is selecting team
oriented players by going the college route, and not even evaluating top
junior talent.

> Did you read my whole post before you responded, or just flame-as-you-read?

I did read your entire post before responding.  If *you* reread it you
may find that you have unique definitions of certain terms, like
prejudice, which is not the same thing as having a preference or opinion.

> If you had read the whole post first, you would have realized that I back
> up my statements with the opinions of the press and the fans. Think about
> this simple fact: in Junior hockey, there's only one reason to be there:
> make the pros. In college hockey, the education is a primary reason for
> most college hockey players (or so they, and most Hockey-L'ers claim). Who
> do you think is going to be more concerned about their pro career? And with
> all of the scouts at the WJC, they better rack up some points.

Once again, this represents an assumption on your part.  Many of the top
players in college i.e. those who are good enough to make the junior
team, have their eye on the NHL, and care deeply about whether they are
drafted.  And many junior players enjoy playing hockey for the love of it.

> Whether you agree with it or not, there is a *ton* of pressure on these
> kids to perform well in front of the scouts, especially the ones that were,
> or will be high draft picks -- predominantly, the junior players.

I agree with the above, except your assumption that college players by
and large are immune or indifferent to this pressure.

> I believe that Parker wanted a squad that wasn't as concerned with playing
> well as an individual, but rather playing well as a team.

Based on results posted by others, and my own observations, he has failed
miserably so far in acheiving this stated goal.

> Did I ever say there weren't showboats in the NCAA? Did I ever say there
> weren't team players in the Juniors? NO.

The inference could easily be drawn from your comments.

> My point here is that a team built up of players who work as a team will
> always succeed, while "all-star" squads have difficulty working together
> and often end up as a runner-up.

ALL the junior teams are "all-star" teams.

> Remember, we're not talking about Canada here, we're talking about American
> kids. You can't possibly compare American juniors and Canadian juniors.

My post is about the selection of AMERICAN kids for the US team who
happen to play in the junior leagues.

> Just because the Memorial Cup gets more coverage (in Canada) doesn't mean
> it's more important or more revered.

snip
> Also... being that the juniors play many, many more games than the college
> players -- which league has more "crucial" games? If a junior team goes on
> a 5 game losing streak, that's not a big deal. What would happen if Maine
> or Michigan suddenly went on that kind of slide? If you also think about
> the tournaments that respective college teams attend -- such as the Beanpot
> -- you'll see that colleges have a better ratio of "important" to "regular"
> games.

My point is that the playoffs in each are at least as important to the
participants, and thus provide the pressure of which you speak.  And most
hockey people feel playing a longer schedule helps competitiveness.  I
don't recommend this for NCAA play for nonhockey reasons, the kids need
time to study.

> If you meet someone personally, watch their playing style and abilities,
> and then make a judgment on them, YOU ARE EXERCISING PREJUDICE.

No, you are exercising *judgement* which is one of the things a coach is
paid for.

Nobody on
> this planet is free from prejudice. By your argument, Doug Woog should
> never be picked as the coach of the WJC, or else he might use only
> Minnesota kids.

If he only would use Minnesota players I would agree, but his policy with
the Gophers would not necessarily be applied in another forum.

> If Parker had taken every available freshman and sophomore from BU, and
> made the rest of the team up of New England players, then that could be
> seen as "discrimination." Besides, if Parker were truly that discriminatory
> against Junior players -- would he make Berard the team leader and start
> Boucher in goal?
>
> Plesae watch your accusations, especially something so serious.

I'm truly sorry, but I believe that my accusations have merit.  My sorrow
is because I believe they have merit.  Parker's actions do not reflect
well on BU.

> The word "prejudiced" is such a word. It by no means signifies someone is
> an awful person; one must look at what kind of prejudice is involved before
> you can make judgment.
>
> And god forbid Arthur, this is a DISCUSSION! Lighten up!

You took the trouble to respond in this kind of detail, and in effect try
to eliminate a response by telling me to lighten up?  Please...

> >> Sure, he's prejudiced about some things. Isn't everybody?

YES, but he should not be exercising what is apparently a prejudice
against AMERICAN players in the junior leagues.  This is my opinion, and
I'm as entitled to it as you are to your's.

> >For sure, but most of us are not allowed (legally or morally) to make our
> >decisions in hiring based on these prejudices.  There are laws that
> >address this thankfully.
>
> Like affirmative action?

This side trip belongs on a political list.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
GO CANADA!!!