From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 07:29:25 -0700
Well, obviously us out here on the West Coast are not as in touch with
things as people in Maine, but let me give you a D-II scenario that
happened here several years ago in the big Calif game of baseball.  Cal
Poly had won a D-II national crown (1990?) and finsihed high up in many
other years, consistently having a good team ... when it was discovered
that the coach, apparently with good intentions, after having
over-extended his scholarship offers, paid some fees out of his own
pocket.  I believe 12k or somesuch.  There were no other violations, I
think, yet after the university investigation, he was fired and the NCAA
stripped CP of, I think, a 3rd place finish the year before.  And I think
there was post season probation but I am not sure.

It sounds to me  like Walsh is lucky to be able to keep his job in that
context.

Now I was also at grad school at Illinois in the late 60s when the
infamous slush fund (hey do you think this stuff follows me around?)
scandal hit and that involves thousands of bucks under the table to
athletes from the alums ... and both football and basketball coaches were
fired, I believe, the Big Ten provided its own sanctions, the players
involved COULD and DID transfer and play immediately at other
universities, leaving the University, the innocent players and coaches
with the penalties, for three years I believe.  There was even talk of
dropping out of the Big Ten, but of course that never happen.

So I am anxious to see what the NCAA does, because, at least in my distant
memory, they can remove the coach.

Sorry to see this happen at this time of year, or anytime.  Mike is right,
we like to think coll hockey is above it all, but anytime you have
recruiting and scholarships and the all important "W" ruling things, we
are going to have to keep a close eye on it all, IMHO.

I am sure Maine will survive and their program will continue to be a very
good one.

Best of holidays to all, enjoy the snow.  :-)

Tony Buffa
RPI '64
U of Illinois '66 and '69