From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 16:07:00 EST
> ...                This happens more often with Minnesota fans, IMO,
> because this list tends to have an eastern slant to it and MN fans
> make up the bulk of the fans that are not in the east.  This is just
> because of the larger population base in the east.

Let's not confuse population with college hockey list readers with the
frequency of posts we see "from" a region or school.  As keeper of the
subscription lists and local redistributions, I can tell you there is
little or no correlation between the three.

For example, several dozen Maine fans are subscribed and many hundreds
more read the lists via local redistributions ... but we hear from
maybe 3-5 people most of the time.

The same can be said for BU ... all other Hocket East schools have
*much* less "representation".

In the ECAC, Clarkson and RPI are fairly close to Maine/BU, but
Clarkson has recently dropped its local redistribution ... and I think
we've seen fewer Clarkson posts this year.  All other ECAC schools
have very few subscribers.

Most CCHA and WCHA teams seem to have 1-2 dozen subscribers, except
UMN which has about 4 dozen.

Rather than population base, I'd venture to guess it's more a matter
of technology base.  Further, I've tried to suggest that a relatively
small proportion of college hockey lists members write.  Since our
total readership of a few thousand is a small percentage of all
college hockey fans, perhaps we should view comments made here more as
personal opinion rather than "representation" of a school or
conference or region (excepting, of course, the NCAA, league and
school reps that occasionally take their valuable time to tell us the
real story).  :-)

May we all better appreciate the game and the competition on the ice,
wayne

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: [log in to unmask]
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE