From:
Craig Cheslog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Cheslog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 16:59:09 -0500
Jayson Moy wrote:

> OK, we couldn't find it in the 1994 book, and we didn't have the
> 1995 book.  But is "taunting" really a call?
>
> Mike and I were amazed at this call.  This is the first time in my
> life that I have seen a taunting call.  Mike said the same.
>
> And one more thing, what is the hand signal for taunting?

Taunting comes under the new unsportsmanlike conduct rule, Rule 6,
Section 1.a (on page 49 of the 1996 NCAA rule book):

   "A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player who challenges or
    disputes the rulings of any official before or during a game. A
    minor penalty shall be assessed against any player displaying
    unsportsmanlike conduct including, but not limited to, taunting
    an official or opponent in order to incite the opponent into
    incurring a penalty; spitting; spraying the goalkeeper; shooting the
    puck after the whistle; or kicking, throwing or knocking an
    opponent's stick for the purpose of keeping it away from the
    opponent. If the player persists in challenging, disputing, or
    displaying unsportsmanlike conduct, the player shall be assessed
    a misconduct penalty."

| Craig Cheslog                |  Internet: [log in to unmask]   |
| Bowdoin College              |  America Online: [log in to unmask]       |
| Sports Information Director  |  Voice: 207-725-3254 FAX: 207-725-3003  |