From:
paul thalacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
paul thalacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 13:28:36 -0500
> >Are you certain that's the reason?  A few years ago (must be 7 or so) the WCHA
> >decided that, as a cost-cutting measure, no bands or cheerleaders are allowed
> >at WCHA away games.
>
> On that same issue, the UMD pep band made a visit to MTU 4 years ago.  It was
> fun to have two bands in the arena.  Since then, the MTU pep band has been
> trying to go to UMD if UMD would agree to allow them in.  Due to games being
> scheduled at UMD during quarter breaks, this has not been an option.  This
> year is the first year that it would be possible.  The band director at UMD
> liked the idea (so I'm told) and approached the UMD athletic director/WCHA
> commissioner and he killed that idea in a hurry.  I guess he's scared....
>

> Brian Wright

I don't think the UMD athletic director was "scared".  A league rule is a
rule.  It is the duty of the commissioner to enforce the league rules.  I
don't think individual schools can make exceptions on their own.
I'm not sure how the UMD band was allowed to go to MTU if the rule
was in effect.  Maybe the previous WCHA commissioner was not as tight on
rules, or it was done without the league finding out.

Paul Thalacker