From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 09:59:08 -0700
admit I saw him play at the Field House twice, I believe, between 1960 and
1964.  His goal to assist ratio is astronomical when even the best snipers
have a ratio slightly above one, his is about 7 to 1!  My memory about him
is faint (what else is new :-))  but I got the distinct impression that
his huge point total was mostly against inferior competition and
regardless, he was going to be their All-American and they "fed" him
whenever they could even in losing efforts.  He was a good skater and good
shooter who would have been good on any team, but I think Middlebury tried
to emphasize his stats.  IMHO, Bob Brinkworth was a much better all around
skater with significant lower stats owing to RPI's much more difficult
schedule.  Of course,at that time, the eastern schools all got totally
wiped out by playing almost any western school, unlike now (:-) and at one
time, I believe, the NCAAs were arranged so that the semis *had* to pit
two eastern schools so that and east-west matchup (usually slaughter) had
to occur, at least as I recall.

On the winning thing at RPI, as an alum, I certainly am not unhappy with
their record since 1979 ...  as recently posted.  All you can ask is
decently competitive with an occasional shot at the nationals, IMHO, at
most of the Div I schools.  If people on campus are unhappy with the
team's performance, I don't understand it.  There are very few schools
that are going to be strong year after year.

Tony Buffa
RPI '64