From:
Thomas Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 11:54:37 -0400
Mike Machnik wrote:

>I don't know that I'd go this far.  Two years ago, DivIII champion
>Plattsburgh got absolutely slaughtered by a below average Colgate
>team (would finish 9th in the ECAC), 14-3, in a game that was not even
>that close.  Plattsburgh had lost only 4-5 players from its 1992 team
>that went 32-2-2.  They would go 25-6-2 and return to the DivIII Final
>Four three months after getting smoked by Colgate.

>Sometimes DivIII teams do fare well against average or better DivI
>teams, as when Colby tied Princeton last season.  But the numbers show
>that the results and scores are heavily skewed in favor of DivI.

I am reminded of the "years of greatness" for Point (Div III UW-Stevens Point)
under Mazz.  We were very good and I felt actually had the talent to take on
some division I teams.  And we scheduled some Div I teams each year, even
tying UAA and playing UAA and UAF close in Alaska one year (or was it UAF we
tied or beat?  Alzeheimer's a 'bitch', aint it?).

But, IMHO, things have changed.  We aren't as dominant as we once were, but we
are still competitive.  More to the point, I believe the overall ratio of
talent has shifted so that there is a wider gap between Div I and Div III than
there used to be.  Sad to say, but the Div I vs III matchups make even less
sense today than they used to for Div I teams, and the discrepancy in talent
is enough that Div III teams really don't 'learn' much from such a trouncing
as they are likely to get.

But for all you Division I fans out there:  Go see a Div III game.  Its
cheaper and still fun and, with the smaller rinks, you might even get a better
seat.  If we can't 'play with' the big boys, neither could even a Maine of 2
years ago play with the San Jose Sharks, but we know college hockey is even
more fun to watch than pro.

Tom Rowe                                 Internet:  [log in to unmask]

Department of Psychology                 ***********************************
U. of Wisconsin - Stevens Point          Home of Division III National
     Go Point!                           Champions '89, '90, '91, & '93