From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1991 16:47:28 CST
	The situation with the penalties in the first two weeks
of WCHA action has been a bit out of control.  In the first weekend
of action the average number of penalties per game was 29!  There
was some grumbling from the reporters and from UW coach Sauer
after the UW-Michigan Tech series.  I do not have the average
number for this past weekend on hand but I would guess the
average was around 22-25 per game.  This past weekend the
UW-St.Cloud series had the fewest penalties and UM-DU the most.
Perhaps the large ice surface at St. Cloud (200 x 100) reduced
the number of penalties in that series.
	I agree with Mike that the NCAA is not the place to lay
initial blame.  The refs are WCHA refs and the head of officials
(Ron Foyt) clearly should take a look at his instructions to his
charges.  On the other hand, perhaps the WCHA is the only league
truly take the NCAA instructions at face value i.e. call every
single incidence of holding or interference.
	Unfortunately, I have not seen a game yet this season
(home opener this Friday), so I can't give a first hand impression
of the rules interpretation.  However, on face value this new
emphasis seems to be a fruitless attempt to adjust the balance
in hockey between offense and defense.  How many people have played
hockey at some competitive level?  In my meager experience a little
of the ol' clutch and grab is a basic component of a fast paced
competitive game.  Trying to eliminate it is like trying to eliminate
pushing and shoving for rebounds in basketball or offensive holding
in football games.  These things can't be stopped in a high level game,
rather the blatant infractions are penalized and the rest is tolerated.
This is all IMHO.
	Comments and experiences to share are welcome.

@ mark grassl				[log in to unmask]            @
@ Go Badgers!                                                           @
@ "Scheduling is very important, depending upon whom you play."         @
@                                        --- Bo Schembechler            @