From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 13:29:41 -0400
Like many people, I too would like the courts to stay out of college
athletic programs.  Having watched the growth of women's ice hockey at
the college level for the last eight years I am afraid the push that
comes from Title IX is needed.  Many AD's are doing just what they can
get by with when it comes to the women's program, but are spending big
time money on the men's programs.  Since only a select group of college
American football programs make any money for schools, it does seem about
time that women too get a chance.  Too often the attitude still seems to
be: for men its a given, for women its a privledge to be earned.

The attitude I hear about at Stanford seems about right.  They are pressing
forward with more women's athletic programs and raising money for
recruiting women.  The other attitudes I have heard recently: there are
men athletes, women athletes and American football athletes, seems like
the kind of backlash that normally happens, unfortunately.

My hope would be that AD's start moving forward with women's sport with a
good-faith effort.  I do not believe any program needs some of the perks
I have seen for college players.  I do see women still getting
the short end of the stick, and it needs to change.

The ECAC Women's league should be moving to home and away games counting
for all 12 teams in the league (22 games count), but that is not
happening because too many schools don't want to put out the full effort.
That doesn't happen with the ECAC Men.  Right now I see the Women's game
is facing some major problems with AD's doing just enough to get by, and
the athletes too focused on one future event (Nagano 98).  Next season
should be great for the ECAC Women, if fun and financing kick into a
higher gear.

p.s.  More later this week on why TUSAW lost the Pacific Rim 95 to TCW.
/
 good shooting
 rhun-hungerf