From:
Pat Keenan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 14:45:40 EST
>Mike Machnik wrote:
>Other than that, your best bet is to not make blind assumptions.
>Sometimes we seem to have solid evidence that the process has been
>somehow altered, as with the comments made in the conference call
>earlier this week about a bye for teams winning both reg season &
>tourneys.  But too many other times, people will make up their own
>reasons why teams should be chosen or not be chosen, and these get
>passed off as fact.  This confuses everyone and makes it more
>difficult to understand what REALLY happened.

>I know there are always people new to HOCKEY-L each year who haven't
>seen the old discussions each March.  My suggestion is, if you aren't
>familiar with the process and have some questions, ask them of someone
>who seems to know what's going on - some of us here have been
>following it closely for many years now and have a pretty good handle
>on what happens.  Read the discussions to pick up on how things work,
>and maybe even go back through discussions from past March archives.
>If something really doesn't make sense, ask - but try to make clear
>that it is a question, and try not to present what is actually
>irrelevant evidence for why you disagree with the selections - i.e.,
>"TeamA should not have been chosen ahead of TeamB because TeamB
>finished second in the conf tourney and TeamA got knocked out in the
>first round."  That fact is true, but it doesn't have anything to do
>with selection.

Mike,

The only assumption I made was that it seems to me that because of the parity of the ECAC teams like Brown,Harvard,RPI,Colgate,Vermont,Princeton may get overlooked because they have such similar records and aside from RPI,Princeton or Colgate being able to do well this weekend, there is nothing that makes them standout in order to get a bid.

I may have been alittle harsh on the HE, they probably deserve 3 or 4 spots, my only concern is that the ECAC may get boned with only one.

Since you seem to have your finger on the pulse of the NCAA selection committee, how many bids do you think the ECAC and Hockey East will get?

Sorry about spreading my amateurish ignorance.
It's St. Patricks Day.
Drop the Puck!
Enjoy this weekends play.

Pat Keenan