From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 10:09:00 EST
I guess I should stick to posting a Michigan recap on
Monday, since my Saturday post contained a couple
of notable errors.  First, Michigan's Mike Knuble scored
prior to Western Michigan's Brian Gallentine...so the
order of the goals is correctly UM, WMU, UM, WMU
(not WMU, UM, UM, WMU as I had reported).  And, the
game-tying goal was changed from Jeremy Brown to
Jamal Mayers.

As for the dives discussion, this happens with some
frequency in the CCHA.  I've noticed a few Michigan players,
as well as opponents, who seem particularly adept at
diving.  Kenny St Louis notes that diving is often done at
the coaches request.  Amen.  I've mentioned it before,
but one of the best things that the PASS (Prime affiliate)
microphones picked up while doing a CCHA telecast
was Michigan State's Ron Mason telling his players to
take dives as the Spartans were about to begin a
penalty kill.  He literally instructed them to go down on
contact.

Turning to Mark Sonnier's question on the CCHA refs, I
don't really have an answer.  I will say that I think Steve
Piotrowski is the best ref in the CCHA (although he often
does not call enough).  I haven't seen the brothers Shegos
recently.  Roger Graff is one of my least favorite, exceeded
only by Petty Petterle.

Lastly, UIC almost snagged one at Yost on Saturday
afternoon.  It was an ugly 5-4 OT win for Michigan, after
blowing a 4-2 third period lead.  Coach Red Berenson
juggled lines and power play units this weekend, and
the team came away with 3 of 4 points, but it could just
as easily been 0-1 points.

Michigan hosts Western Michigan on Friday and travels
to Munn to take on Michigan State on Saturday.  UM is 1-0-1
vs WMU and 2-0-0 vs MSU this season.

John H
U Mich