From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 1995 12:33:00 EST
Friday, 27 January 1995, Yost Ice Arena, Ann Arbor MI

WMU  0 1 1 0 - 2
UM   0 1 1 0 - 2

I tried to convince myself that Michigan's dismal looking 4-3
win at Western Michigan in early December was a case of
the Wolverines not playing well (and Marty Turco stealing
a couple of points with his netminding), but it happened again
last night.  Obviously, Western Michigan has something to
do with it.  The Broncos have had what I consider to be a
disappointing season to date, but they seem to have
Michigan under control.

Last night's game was a sloppy edition of college hockey...
plenty of holding, hooking, and missed passes.  WMU
goaltender Brian Renfrew, who averages 1-2 great games
per month and as is otherwise mediocre, chose to be solid.

The first goal came when WMU freshman defenseman Steve
Duke moved into the slot and Turco came out to challenge.
Duke drilled a shot about five feet wide of the net to Turco's
right, and it the puck came bulleting off the back wall on the
other side of the net.  Before Marty could dive back into the
crease WMU captain Brian Gallentine had top shelved it into
the empty net.  Strange play...if Duke puts his shot on goal,
they (likely) don't score.

Mike Knuble answered with an end to end rush.  He picked
up a rebound in front of the Michigan net, bobbed and weaved
(as much as someone 6'2", 224 lbs can bob and weave through
center ice...maybe I should just say he charged toward the
Bronco net), and eventually beat Renfrew from right wing
through a crowd.  It was announced as unassisted, but an
assist was later added to Turco...who had kicked the rebound
out which Knuble gathered to begin the play.

The game moved well under the 10:00 remaining mark when
Michigan took its first lead.  I didn't see the play, but the end
result was identical to Gallentine's opening goal.  I was watching
Gallentine mugging Robb Gordon near the blueline, and
turned to the Bronco net just in time to see Bill Muckalt, on
his stomach, pushing the puck into an empty net as Renfrew
was diving back across from the other side.

It looked like another tough, one-goal win for the Wolverines
but WMU pulled Renfrew with just over 1:00 to go and with :25
on the clock, Jeremy Brown managed to punch it over the line
following a scramble in front of Turco.

As the buzzer sounded to end regulation, the fists began to
fly.  The final call was simply coincidental minors for roughing
(Muckalt and WMU's Derek Innanen, I believe), which looked
to be a great break for Michigan.  The Wolverines already
owned a 4-on-4 goal on the evening, and now OT would begin
with only eight skaters for two minutes.  Sure enough, Michigan's
John Madden was freed on a breakaway only to be snuffed
by Renfrew.  Michigan appeared to control the OT, taking 4
shots to Western's 1, but had to settle for their first tie of the
season.

I believe the final shots were WMU 30, UM 28.  The three
stars of the game were:

  1 - Brian Renfrew, WMU
  2 - Steve Duke, WMU
  3 - Marty Turco, UM

I like Steve Duke as much as the next guy, but I thought Brian
Gallentine played a hell of a game.  He notched the opening
goal and was all over the place killing penalties...which WMU
did a good job of all evening.  Look for Gallentine to be a
leading candidate for CCHA Best Defensive Forward.

Btw...Michigan had juggled lines, bringing Mike Legg up to
the first line to play LW with Brendan Morrison and Knuble,
which moved Kevin Hilton to center on the third line with
John Madden and Warren Luhning.  The power play units
were also modified.  None of the lines looked in synch, and
the second power play unit looked very much out of place.
Hilton was moved to the second unit, assuming a more
"quarterbacking" roll it appeared, but the unit tended to
bunch up too much and never really produced any quality
scoring chances (that I can recall).

This afternoon (2:30), Michigan entertains UIC.  The Flames
practiced in Ann Arbor yesterday, before heading South to
BG and losing to the Falcons.  I thought I was seeing things
when I saw the UIC bus rolling out of town in the afternoon,
but apparently I wasn't.  The back of the bus says ILLINI
SWALLOW in big letters.  I've always been tempted to spray
paint INDIANA SUCKS above that.  (Sorry, I don't mean to
offend.  I'll try to keep things PG. :-)

The Wolverines host WMU to end their season series next
Friday.

John H
U Mich