Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 1995 12:23:40 EST
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]> writes:

Northeastern hops over Lowell into 4th with the win.  Reports were
that it was one of the poorest performances of the year for Lowell,
and goalie Martin Fillion kept it from being even more of a blowout.

Boy are you ever right about that one, Mike!  The second period of that
game was the worst period I've seen played by a Lowell team in years.
Even in the really "down" years the team(s) would _at least_ try!!  Last
night it didn't even seem like anybody cared.  It was almost embarassing!!
 It was also the first time in a long time that I can remember the crowd
booing the Riverhawks.

Fillion played very well.  IMHO there wasn't one goal that was his fault.
 NU scored on several partial breakaways and even on a two-on-none!  He
was absolutely the only player for Lowell who showed up.  There was
nothing: no hitting, no passing and NO skating!!  The even looked awful
coming off after shifts.  I'll admit that I don't know much about coaching
hockey, but if I was Bruce Crowder I'd be hard pressed to figure out what
positives to take from this game.

One side note:  as part of Coach Crowder's recent crack-down on bad
penalties, he benches for the remainder of the game anyone who takes a
"stupid" penalty.  In the first period, about 15 seconds into a Lowell
power-play, Lowell forward Greg Bullock was called for a slash.  The
coaches upstairs told Crowder that it was a bad call.  Crowder thought
they said it was a bad penalty and benched Bullock the rest of the period.
 Greg did play the entire second and third period, however.  (I assume
this misunderstanding was "fixed" between the first and second period).
It certainly didn't matter, however, Bullock looked as disinterested as
anyone else....

Going into the weekend I would've been satisfied with a split with
Northeastern.  That would really haved help in finishing in the first
division.  Now tonight's game becomes HUGE!  If Lowell decides to continue
playing this way (and this "way" started towards the end of the second
periond against Brown) then they may be regulated to the 6th place finish
that most thought would end up with during th pre-season.

Steve Weisfeldt
Univ. of Lowell  1986, 1988                       Home of the 'Hawks!!
[log in to unmask]                          7-6-1 [1] (12-11-4)